Friday, October 22, 2010

Writing.

So this is my first post in a very long time. One often sees first posts wherein the author bemoans their lack of posting and promises to be more regular. My first post is no different. I wish I posted more often and promise to post more frequently.

The truth is I have never really learnt the art of writing. I dreamed of being a writer when I was little and so my parents got me a typewriter (since I have awful handwriting and am left handed). The typewriter didn't work too well so eventually they got me a computer. The computer for me was love at first sight. Games, programming, rummaging through and tearing up the hardware -- all of it, I loved the whole "techie" thing. Yep, that's me the accidental techie. I did little if any real writing unless you count my C++ coding as writing.

All through school and university i've struggled with creating written work product. Writing if anything has tended to be the painful process of me staring at a computer and trying desperately to procrastinate. Every procrastinating trick in the book i've tried. On occasion things have gotten so desperate i've actually been known to volunteer to do painful chores such as clean or gardening (For those of you don't know me, such mundane thing are never typically on any to-do list i've ever created). Of course these days we have the internet which can be the ultimate zen of procrastination, even more dangerous and draining than television.

Anyhow enough negativity. Even given my difficulties writing I understand and appreciate the value the benefits of writing. Thoughts and ideas tend to be vague an undefined until you can clearly articulate them. I'm reading a book now on writing that drives home the point about how interconnected the process of thinking and writing really are. I agree wholeheartedly. As painful as writing is for me I can clearly see how thoughts and ideas really begin to develop and refine throughout the writing process. I find that the actual physical manifestation of thoughts in written form tend to give ideas more psychological oomph that allows you to think critically. So its clear the rational-me easily understands the benefits of writing. Now the tricky part is to convince the irrational internet browsing, chocolate eating indulgent ape descendant side of myself. We'll see who wins.

Ps: I can't believe I have not written a word on this blog since 2007!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carlos R Cruz said...

Mareket Misha... you da man!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Carlos R Cruz said...

Market Misha... you da man!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home